- Trusts and Estates
Trusts and Estates
This title is a part of our CasebookPlus™ offering as ISBN 9781685613211. Learn more at
Stake’s Trusts and Estates is designed to be a teacher-friendly casebook for a basic course in trusts and estates. What is teacher friendly about it? First the book is not a hornbook or treatise and does not require the teacher to remember a lot of note material that is unimportant to teaching basic principles. It also includes portions of the UPC in the book rather than requiring another book for statutory materials, which is student-friendly as well. Second, it raises policy questions that students find interesting because the questions engage them as if they will be in a position to influence their state’s law on trusts and estates. Concerning social policy, this casebook does not assume that the goal of following the decedent's intent overrides other fairness concerns or efficiency. Third, it presents examples and problems that can be used to dig into the rules or can be ignored as the teacher sees fit. Fourth, the cases are interesting as stories of what can go wrong in families and what can go wrong in trust and estate practice. Stake's book can be covered in a 3-hour course or, by closer analysis of cases and problems, expanded to fill a 4-hour course. Fifth and finally, an extensive set of 1000 PowerPoint slides is available to casebook adopters. Most of the slides are only text, but a few of the slides include graphics or suggestions for audio or video clips that fit with the material.
Imprint: West Academic Publishing
Series: American Casebook Series
Publication Date: 11/09/2022
Jeffrey Evans Stake, Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington
This title is available in our CasebookPlus format. CasebookPlus provides support beyond your classroom lectures and materials by offering additional digital resources to you and your students. Anchored by faculty-authored formative self-assessments keyed to our most popular casebooks, CasebookPlus allows students to test their understanding of core concepts as they are learning them in class – on their own, outside of the classroom, with no extra work on your part. CasebookPlus combines three important elements:
- A new print or digital casebook
- Access to a downloadable eBook with the ability to highlight and add notes
- 12-month access to a digital Learning Library complete with:
- Chapter questions keyed to the casebook
- Black Letter Law questions (available in select subjects)
- Subject area review questions for end of semester use
Leading digital study aids, an outline starter, and audio lectures in select subjects
Students can still utilize CasebookPlus digital resources if they've purchased a used book or are renting their text by purchasing the Learning Library at westacademic.com.
With CasebookPlus, you can customize your students' learning experience and monitor their performance. The quiz editor allows you to create your own custom quiz set, suppress specific quiz questions or quiz sets, and time-release quiz questions. Additionally, the flexible, customized reporting capability helps you evaluate your students' understanding of the material and can also help your school demonstrate compliance with the new ABA Assessment and Learning Outcomes standards. Learn more about the reporting available to you from your Account Manager or view the course set-up instructions to get started.
Compared to the first edition, the second edition:
- includes corrections to errors in the text
- corrects the formatting of one edited case
- expands and clarifies the text in a few places
- substitutes Estate of Kievernagel instead of the older Hecht case. The newer case includes a discussion of the older case and adds a new dimension to it.
- adds DeHart v. DeHart and information received from the lawyer in that case
- adds UPA § 708 which presents new rules for families made up of more than 2 parents
- adds Janus v. Tarasewitz which illustrates the injustice that can result in states where the original Uniform Simultaneous Death Act is still the law
- adds a section of text on motivational clauses
- adds In re Strittmater’s Estate to show sexist assumptions about women fighting for women’s liberation
- adds a portion of Kirkeby v. Covenant House to present an example of telephonic attestation gone wrong (and to present a simple example of Dependent Relative Revocation)
- adds Patrick v. Patrick
- adds Espinosa v. Sparber, Shevin, Shapo, Rosen and Heilbronner to show potential malpractice by lawyer drafting will after client has another child
- adds Marsman v. Nasca to show potential malpractice by trustee
- adds another portion of Kirkeby v. Covenant House to show the statutory elective share
Learn more about this series.
Law School Faculty - Sign in or Create an Account to access this content. Law faculty who have created an account can sign in after receiving email notification that registration has been approved. Email email@example.com or call 800-313-9378 for assistance.
Other Higher Education Faculty who wish to access digital review copies or teaching resources should contact their West Academic Account Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-360-9378.
This content is intended for adopters only. Sign in or Create an Account to access this content. Law faculty who have created an account can sign in after receiving email notification that registration has been approved. If you are an adopter who is unable to access this content after signing in, contact your account manager for assistance at email@example.com or call 800-313-9378 for assistance.
Sign in or Create an Account to access this content. Faculty who have created an account can sign in after receiving email notification that registration has been approved. Contact us for assistance.
Law School Faculty: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-313-9378.
Other Higher Education Faculty: email email@example.com or 800-360-9378.
Higher education faculty who wish to view this document should contact their West Academic Account Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-360-9378.